Thursday 5 July 2012

Fourth of July!

Yesterday I experienced my first Independence Day and it was fun. A few Americans asked if I’d be celebrating, considering the history of July 4th – essentially the anniversary of America breaking away, fairly violently, from British rule. As this was back in the late 1700s, I decided I wasn't going to let it get to me lol. I’m pretty sure most Brits are over it by now!

Independence Day is a public holiday, so we had the day off work. As it was a Wednesday, it was a nice little break in the middle of the week, and resulted in quite a lot of drinking – a tradition that luckily spans both cultures ;)

There was a big firework display on the night before our day off, so I headed to watch with some friends. I was pretty impressed, I absolutely love fireworks (big kid at heart) so was very excited. I have to say, the best fireworks I’ve seen are the ones in St Albans for Bonfire Night, but these were still a good show. 

We then went back to a friend’s house, where the conversation took an argumentative turn as we began to discuss religion and the rights and wrongs. Rather unfortunately for Melissa, she was the only person present who defended it. The debate grew rather heated on both sides, fuelled by red wine and vodka (not mixed) but always fun to get involved in!

On the actual day of Independence, we all gathered at Brooke and Ken’s house for the all-important feature in any backyard: a pool! We had a BBQ and swam all afternoon, in wonderful 38°C heat – I can’t get enough of the weather here! 

Ian, Jack, Brooke and Logan

Independence Day cookie pizza
Then we played beer pong. I hadn't played since I lived in Albuquerque, over two years ago, but apparently it’s just like riding a bike because I still had all the skills! There was a very competitive game of UK vs. US, with Ian and me playing against Brooke and Ken, and sadly we lost, (just). I suppose it was fitting, fairly reminiscent of our defeat in 1776, but like we pointed out, we let you win then, and we’ll let you win again now. 

We didn’t want the damn colonies anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment